UW-Fond Du Lac invites applicants for a Custodian vacancy to serve on a team with diversified responsibilities as listed below. Contingent upon assessed needs at the time of hire, there may be room for two hires.
The Custodian provides custodial services to maintain the cleanliness of the campus buildings, perform facility set-up and furniture and equipment placements, conduct grounds and outdoor work, monitor fleet vehicles for proper care and maintain their availability for use, conduct routine safety and security checks, and perform building maintenance. Incumbent may work variable shifts with some rotational work on Saturdays and/or Sundays. Employee performance is monitored by, and the position is directly supervised by the Custodial Services Supervisor.
This is a 1.0 full-time equivalence (FTE) University Staff position. This position is subject to policy, procedures and requirements of UW Colleges Blood borne Pathogens Exposure Control policy.
Scheduled Shift: 2:00 pm – 10:30 pm Monday-Friday with rotational work on Saturdays for events as needed.
80% Provide Custodial Services to Maintain Cleanliness of the Building
- Sweep, mop, vacuum, clean and dust offices, classrooms, hallways and restrooms.
- Strip, mop, and wax floors using manual and power floor care equipment as required.
- Conduct restorative and general carpet conditioning and maintenance.
- Clean windows and a variety of other special surfaces.
5% Expedite Facility Set Up and Furniture and Equipment Placement
- Arrange furniture and equipment.
- Change room arrangements, common areas and equipment for routine and special events.
- Perform emergency tasks for faculty in educational related activities.
5% Conduct Safety and Security Responsibilities
- Observe buildings and grounds for safety concerns. Take steps to resolve unsafe conditions and report needs for attention to supervisor.
- Ascertain that building is locked and secured during non-open hours.
- Escort faculty and staff to vehicles after hours.
- Respond to addressable fire alarm system and trouble signals taking appropriate action as required.
- Shuts water off in heating and domestic water line loops in emergencies. Locates and shuts electrical breakers off in emergencies.
- Monitor mechanical equipment to assure it is functioning properly and shits equipment down if problems occur.
- Read and respond to material safety data sheets as needed.
5% Perform Building Maintenance
- Change lamps as needed.
- Adjust and repair door locks and hardware.
- Clean exhaust and return air ducts as needed.
- Repair carpet and carpet seams.
- Implement window dressing adjustment and repairs.
- Unplug sanitary drains and toilets.
5% Conduct Grounds/Outdoor Work & Other Duties
- Provide lawn and grounds care using commercial lawn mowers, hand mowers, string trimmer, rakes, and other tools and equipment.
- Perform snow removal activities using powered and hand equipment.
- Conduct horticultural activities – including watering plants, weeding beds, tree pruning and landscape planting.
- Remove litter and debris from lawns, walks, roads, trash, and smoking receptacles.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The selected candidate will have demonstrated knowledge of proper cleaning methods, cleaning agents, policies and practices/processes, along with knowledge and skillful use of applicable equipment, cleaning supplies and/or agents for the cleaning, upkeep, and maintenance of rooms, buildings and facilities, including outdoor grounds maintenance and upkeep. Additionally, the incumbent will be expected to lift up to 80 pounds and have (or be able to acquire) a valid University of Wisconsin driver authorization to operate any/all vehicles required or applicable to this position.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- Possess a valid Wisconsin driver’s license or be eligible and able to obtain one
- Experience interpreting and comprehending work instructions and schedules, warning signs and instructions for proper equipment handling/operations
- Knowledge of proper methods, including skill sets to properly and accurately calculate and measure cleaning solution mixtures, cleaning agents, and equipment for janitorial work.
- Must be able to occasionally lift up to 80 pounds.
- Experience and skillful use and operations of indoor and outdoor maintenance tools, equipment, and/or supply needs (ladders, hammer, lawnmower, snow blower, etc.)
- This position, at times, performs under uncomfortable conditions, including (but not limited to) extreme hot or cold temperatures. This positions requires the tolerance to climb and work on a ladder and have physical strength and stamina to bend, stoop, kneel, move furniture and stand for long periods of time.
The University of Wisconsin Colleges is the freshman-sophomore liberal arts transfer institution of the world-renowned University of Wisconsin System. The UW Colleges comprises thirteen two-year campuses around the state, plus UWC Online, each of which offers an excellent liberal arts and pre-professional education for students beginning work toward a bachelor's degree. The UW Colleges also offers a Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences at six of its campuses. See http://www.uwc.edu for more information about the UW Colleges.
UW Colleges is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. UW Colleges values diversity and inclusion. We define Inclusive Excellence as “the intentional engagement of the broadest range of perspectives, backgrounds, needs, experience, and circumstance in order to maximize success.” We value diversity within our students, faculty and staff, and strive to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people.
An offer of employment is contingent upon the following: 1) the establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 and 2) a background check.
It is the policy of UW Colleges to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org .
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time (100%) University staff position. Starting salary is $11.52/hour. Excellent benefits package. For a more detailed description of available benefits, please see https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/benefits/
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants are required to apply online. Online application, with all required documents, must be received by April 11, 2018.
To apply, click here: Custodian
All application materials must be submitted electronically at the time of application. UW Colleges will not consider paper, emailed or faxed applications. Applicants must complete all required fields and attach all required documents at the time of application.
Required application materials:
- A letter of application that addresses how your education and experience meet all of the qualifications for the position
- Names and contact information (e-mail address, phone number, and mailing address) of at least three references
For questions regarding this position, please contact Tracy Schwartz (email@example.com). For technical questions or assistance, please contact UW Service Center at (888) 298-4159. For all other questions please contact the Office of Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org.