|Licenses Available||Licensing Grades||DPI Subject Codes|
|Broadfield Natural Sciences||6-12||1601|
Broadfield Natural Science Major
Recommended for students who wish to obtain the Broadfield Natural Science licensure in order to teach at the Early Adolescence to Adolescence Level (ages 10-21).
Required Units (credits): 60 minimum units
Required Courses: 54 units in science to include:
- A minor in one of the following areas of science: Biology (25 credits), Chemistry (23 credits), Earth Science (32 credits) or Physics (25 credits).
- A minimum of 14 units in one of the above science areas which has not been selected for the minor and a minimum of 8 units (credits) in each of the two remaining science areas.
- A minimum of 6 units of Mathematics at the level of Mathematics 103 and Mathematics 104 or above (not included in the 54 units/credits).
- Environmental Education Requirement (completion of the following courses): Biology 104 or 349, Chemistry 103, Environmental Studies 101, Geography 314 or Geology 150.
- Electives: Sufficient to meet the minimum requirement. All electives must be science courses.
Required Units (Credits): 36 minimum units
Core Mathematics Courses:
- Mathematics 171 Calculus I (4 credits)
- Mathematics 172 Calculus II (4 credits)
- Mathematics 256 Intro to Linear Mathematics (3 credits)
- Mathematics 273 Calculus III (4 credits)
Required Courses in addition to the Core Courses
Mathematics: Mathematics 301, 331; 333 or 334; 485; plus one course from: Mathematics 342, 346, or 349
Electives: Sufficient courses from the Department's offerings to meet the minimum requirement selected so that at least one elective is selected from two of the following four areas (may not be double counted from the required courses):
- Algebra-Mathematics 342, 346, or 349
- Geometry/Topology-Mathematics 333, 334, or 480
- Probability/Statistics-Mathematics 302, 304, 305, 381, 385, 386, 401, or 402
- Computing-Mathematics 352, 355, 356, or 357
- Analysis-Mathematics 371, 375, 376, or 467
Technology Education Major
Technology content course – 36 credits
- Construction – credits in courses such as home building, carpentry, HVAC, architecture, drafting, CAD Design, civil engineering, architecture, home maintenance or residential wiring.
- Transportation – 9 credits in courses such as introduction to transportation, auto mechanics, small engines, diesel engines, power and energy or collision repair.
- Manufacturing/Engineering – 9 credits in courses such as introduction to manufacturing, advanced manufacturing, computer integrated manufacturing, wood, plastic and metal fabrication, bioengineering, engineering of [X], machine tools, wood working technics/cabinetmaking, welding or environmental technologies.
- Communications/IT – 9 credits in courses such as web design, robotics, Audio/Visual production, desktop publishing, digital electronics, graphics technology, communications, photography, printing technology, networking or computer science.
Technology Education courses – 9 credits
- Principles of Technology Education (3 credits)
- Methods of Teaching Technology Education (3 credits)
- Career and College Program Planning (3 credits)
Verification of Program Completion
If you would like an official letter of verification that your license has been applied for and is in the process of being issued by DPI, you can request a “Verification of Program Completion” letter.