Hessen Exchange Program

The Wisconsin-Hessen Exchange Program offers year-long, semester-long and summer study abroad programs at universities in Hessen, such as Marburg, Frankfurt and Giessen. This program is administered through the Office of International Education at UW-Oshkosh.

Summer programs are recommended to UW Colleges students at any stage of their studies. Semester- or year-long study at one of these universities is recommended only for students who have had the higher level coursework (300-level and higher) as well as students who have studied German, since these programs provide the greatest degree of immersion and opportunities for independence.

How to Apply

Studying in Germany will require you to be persistent in pursuing your educational goals. While in Germany, you will have the support of the UW Colleges Study Abroad and the Office of International Education (OIE). Visit the OIE Hessen Exchange website for more information. To apply, please follow these steps:

  • Complete the application form for the Hessen Program.  
  • Submit with the application fee of $100 payable to UW-Oshkosh. 
  • Your paperwork will be reviewed, and if approved an acceptance letter will be issued for you that will allow you to participate in the affiliate program.

Please note: Your Hessen Program application and the fee should be mailed to UW Oshkosh.

Financial Aid

If you are eligible you can request financial aid to cover expenses associated with the Hessen program.

  1. To be eligible for financial aid, you need to remain enrolled as a UW Colleges student on your home campus. You can identify one course (1, 2, or 3-credit course ) of your choice and enroll in it for the semester during which you are going to be studying in Germany.
  2. Because you are planning to transfer the credits you will gain from the affiliate program you will need to complete a UW Colleges Study Abroad Transfer Credit Prior Approval form.  Learn more about affiliated program credit transfer.
  3. And finally, our Central Financial Aid Office will need the Consortium Agreement to process your request for financial aid.  Your campus should certify that the Hessen program credits will transfer (and this is when you will use a Transfer Credit Prior Approval form mentioned earlier), then send to the Central Financial Aid Office.

If you follow all the steps outlined above you will have everything ready before you leave for your program.


If you have any questions, please contact the UW Colleges International Education Office or call 608-263-9676.

Please explore the Hessen program guide for more information.