The University of Wisconsin Colleges has approved affiliate programs in which students may participate. Affiliate programs allow students to study at sites that may not be available through UW Colleges-sponsored programs. Some also offer unique programs that are tailored to particular academic or career interests.
If UW Colleges students who study abroad through affiliate programs would like to remain enrolled as UW Colleges students while abroad they need to sign up for UW Colleges courses. The students are billed through their UW Colleges campus Bursar accounts, though the program price is not set at the cost of UW Colleges tuition. The cost of an affiliate program usually runs between $11,000 and $19,000 per semester. Federal and state aid may help defray the cost if you continue being enrolled on your home campus.
Affiliates are selected because they fit the academic requirements of UW Colleges students. Because of our close relationship with the staff of these organizations, we prefer their programs in particular locations or for particular majors to ensure that our students get the highest quality experience abroad. Program coordinators are on site to help students get accustomed to their new environment most programs are all-inclusive, meaning they provide food and housing, excursions, and activities in addition to the academic requirements.
UW-River Falls Wisconsin in Scotland and Germany - Hessen Exchange are some of the affiliate programs. Learn more about these exciting programs and how to participate by visiting programs webpages:
- UW-River Falls Wisconsin in Scotland Program
- Germany - Hessen Exchange Program
- Students are encouraged to explore a variety of credible alternatives offered by the UW System institutions. A good place to start is by visiting the unofficial UW-System Study Abroad website.
- You need to apply to the institution that offers the particular study abroad program. Make sure you examine the academic content of the affiliate program you are interested in and discuss the transferability of credits back to your campus.
- If you plan to transfer the credits you will gain from the affiliate program please make sure you read the information on Affiliate Program Course and Credit Transfer and complete a UW Colleges Study Abroad Transfer Credit Prior Approval form.
IMPORTANT: Affiliate program institutions bill separately for tuition and other related charges. Students are responsible for ensuring that payment is made to that institution.
Financial Aid Information
Any Financial Aid you receive currently may be applied directly to the cost of your tuition while abroad. However, it is your responsibility to make all arrangements for this. Complete all necessary financial aid paperwork before your departure. Only students who are full-time students at UW Colleges can receive financial aid from their campus.
Required Health Insurance
Even if your program includes overseas insurance, UW-System has mandated the purchase of a state-approved health insurance plan for all UW System students abroad. The policy is through CISI, Cultural Insurance Services International. The cost is approximately $35.00 per month currently and will need to be paid at the UW Colleges Study Abroad office prior to your departure. You will be issued an insurance card upon receipt of payment.
*If your study abroad program is sponsored by a UW System institution that already provides CISI insurance, please bring in verification so you can be waived from this requirement.