Mathematics in careers
Equipped with a math major from the UW Colleges, you will have access to a wide range of career paths. They spread across many areas of Business and Industry and Government where problem-solving and analytical thinking skills are needed. Mathematics careers are regularly near the top of many "best jobs" lists.
As a Math Major, you will acquire many skills and abilities which will contribute heavily to your career. Some of these are:
- Analytical and logical thinking.
- Passion for precision and detail.
- Ability to understand and utilize abstraction
- Ability and desire to rise up to challenges
- Ability to perform data analysis.
- Ability to recognize patterns.
- Ability to learn/apply complex concepts.
Starting at UW Colleges
The course offerings in mathematics at UW Colleges provide a solid Freshman-Sophomore foundation for all of these mathematics related jobs and much more. From pre-calculus through to Calculus I, II and III, differential equations and Linear Algebra, UW Colleges provides quality instruction in small class settings. UW Colleges is a component of the World Renowned UW-System and our courses readily transfer to any UW-System School and also to private colleges.
There is a wide range of professions that offer challenging and rewarding careers for mathematicians. The following websites provide links to lists of careers for those who have appropriate qualifications in mathematics.
- American Mathematical Society -- careers page
- Mathematical Association of America -- careers page
- Association for Women in Mathematics -- career page
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics -- careers page