The University of Wisconsin Colleges strives to provide a safe and secure learning and working environment for everyone involved in university activities. Children come into contact with UW Colleges employees through various programs, camps, and events. On Dec. 19, 2011, Governor Scott Walker signed Executive Order #54, which requires that all University of Wisconsin System employees must report incidents of child abuse and neglect.
Definitions and Signs of Child Abuse and Neglect
See the Definitions page for more information on the following:
- Physical Abuse
- Sexual Abuse
- Emotional Damage
- Report Immediately to a local law enforcement or child protective services.
- In addition to reporting to local law enforcement or child protective services, you must also complete the UW Colleges Abuse and Neglect Reporting Form. If you need assistance with completing the reporting form or would prefer to report the incident directly to an individual, please contact Kristine McCaslin at 715-261-6212.
- Do not delay making a report in order to gather evidence; the agency to whom you make the report will determine whether such an investigation is warranted.
- It is acceptable to quickly collect additional information that is readily available (such as talking to coworkers who also interact with that child) or to verify that the information learned meets criteria for reporting, but this must be done very promptly.
- It is better to report without all relevant information than to delay a report to collect information.
- You’re protected from liability if you make a report in good faith.
- You are responsible for making sure that the suspicion and/or incident is reported.
- You are reporting with reasonable suspicion that abuse or neglect is occurring…you do not need proof.
- Annual training is available for UW Colleges employees, volunteers and contractors. Employees will be sent an email with information regarding this training. It is an expectation that departments that utilize volunteers will make sure the volunteers complete this training each year. Contracted vendors who work on our campuses will also be expected to complete the training.
For Questions Or Concerns Contact:
University of Wisconsin Colleges
518 S. 7th Avenue
Wausau, WI 54401