All students accepting a student loan award must complete a Direct Loan Master Promissory Note or MPN (the loan application). In order to apply online for a Federal Direct Loan, including both Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, ALL of the following must apply to the student:
- You have been admitted to one of the University of Wisconsin Colleges campuses: Baraboo/Sauk County, Barron County, Fond du Lac, Fox Valley, Manitowoc, Marathon County, Marinette, Marshfield/Wood County, Richland, Rock County, Sheboygan, Washington County, Waukesha, or the UW Colleges Online-degree program.
- You have applied for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the FAFSA has been processed, and you authorized the release of your FAFSA information to the University of Wisconsin Colleges by adding the UW Colleges school code of 003897.
- UW Colleges Student Financial Aid Office has sent you a Financial Aid Award Offer for the corresponding term for which you wish to apply for a Direct Loan(s).
- You were awarded a Direct Subsidized and/or Direct Unsubsidized Loan and have submitted your completed Award Offer with an accepted Direct Loan award to UW Colleges.
- ALL borrowers must have completed Direct Loan Entrance Counseling.
If you meet all of the conditions above, you may complete your Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) online. Please note that only one MPN is needed to apply for both Direct Subsidized and Direct Unsubsidized Loans.
To avoid delays in the receipt of Direct Loan funds, students are encouraged to complete a Master Promissory Note at least 10 days prior to the beginning of the first term of enrollment.
The Direct Loan Master Promissory Note website is managed by the U.S. Department of Education. By following the steps below, you will ensure that the University of Wisconsin Colleges Student Financial Aid Office receives notification after you have successfully completed the online Direct Loan MPN.
What you need to complete the Direct Loan MPN:
- your Federal Student Aid PIN. It is the same PIN you used to electronically sign your FAFSA. Visit the FSA PIN Registration website if you do not have a PIN or are unsure if you already have one.
- your Social Security Number and Birth Date
- your Driver's License Number (if you have one), Permanent Address, Telephone Number, and Email Address
- The full name, U.S. address, and telephone number of two personal references who live at different addresses and you have known for at least 3 years. The first reference should be a parent or a legal guardian.
- 20-30 minutes
What to do once you're at the Direct Loan MPN website:
|Step 1||under Manage My Direct Loan|
|Step 2||Click Complete MPN from the list of options|
|Step 3||Select Subsidized/Unsubsidized|
|Step 4||Enter Personal Information|
|Step 5||Select WISCONSIN and then UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN COLLEGES in the drop-down menus of the School and Loan Information section.
After you have chosen the UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN COLLEGES, the above DLID code and UW Colleges’ Madison address will appear. Don't panic, this is correct information for the 13 campuses and online-degree program of the University of Wisconsin Colleges!
|Step 6||Enter Personal References information|
|Step 7||Read Terms & Conditions carefully|
|Step 8||Review your information and Sign your MPN. Print a copy for your records.|
|Step 9||Success! You will be sent a confirmation email.|