Rights of Access to Student Records; Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) 

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. They are: 

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access: Requests regarding a student’s behavioral, misconduct, and housing records should be submitted to the Office of Conduct, Compliance, and Residence Life via Megan Sippel at megan.sippel@uwc.edu. All other requests regarding a student’s educational records should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office via registrar@uwc.edu. The appropriate office will make arrangements for access to the records and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading: Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing. If the decision is not to amend, the student will have the right to place a statement in the record commenting on the contested information.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent: One exception which permits disclosure without consent is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, National Student Clearinghouse or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the University may disclose educational records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll. 
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA  

The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: 

Family Policy 
Compliance Office 
U.S. Department of Education 
600 Independence Ave., SW 
Washington, DC 20202-5901 


Students should be aware that, under the Act, the University construes the following to be directory information which is available to the public: name, address (including e-mail address), telephone number, date of birth, dates of attendance, part-time/full-time status, degrees and awards received, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, and previous educational institution attended. No other information will be released to a third party, except as provided by law, without students' prior consent. In addition, students have the right to inform the campus that the above information cannot be released without students' prior consent. If students choose to have directory information restricted, students should log into their UWC PRISM account and make the necessary changes in the Self Service Center. 

The campus may publish a Dean's List to honor students with high grade point averages. Students may request that their name be deleted from the public announcement of the Dean's List by contacting their campus Solution Center.