High School Special Students

The University of Wisconsin Colleges offers high school students another option to enroll in courses.  High school students in public, private, parochial or home schools can apply as a High School Special Student. Students must meet admission requirements and course prerequisites prior to enrolling. Tuition, fees and textbooks are paid for by the student/parent/guardian.

College courses taken by high school students become part of the permanent University record and may affect subsequent admission to post-secondary institutions. Please be aware that a poor grade earned in a course could have a negative impact on a future admissions decision for a student.

How to Apply

  • Apply online by submitting a UW System Application for Undergraduate Admissions to UW Colleges.
  • Submit the UW Colleges Terms and Conditions for Minors form 
  • Submit the Early College Credit and High School Special Agreement Form
  • Submit a high school transcript to UW Colleges.
  • Submit AP test scores, college transcripts or placement test scores to verify pre-requisites have been met (if applicable)

Send documentation to:

UW Colleges Admissions Office 
780 Regent Street
Madison, WI  53715
or UW Colleges Admissions Office

Application Deadlines

Summer/Fall Semester

June 1 -- All application materials must be submitted by 4:30 p.m.

  • UW System application
  • Approved Early College Credit form
  • High school transcripts

Spring Semester

December 1 – All application materials must be submitted by 4:30 p.m.

  • UW System application
  • Approved Early College Credit form
  • High school transcripts

After you Apply

  • Set up a UW Colleges Email
  • Set up a PRISM account: PRISM is where a student can access the Student Center. The Student Center includes the student “To Do” list, advisor contact information and class schedule.
  • The UW Colleges Admissions Office will mail accepted students an admit letter.
  • Students must take care of all class prerequisites either by submitting AP scores or taking a placement test. 
    • All math and English courses have prerequisites that will require the student to take a placement test, submit AP test scores or previously completed college course work. Prerequisites and course descriptions can be found by double clicking the course title listed in the campus schedule of classes. Students will not be enrolled until prerequisites have been verified.
    • Placement tests can be scheduled by calling the UW Colleges Solution Center at 888-463-6892.
  • Students must check their UW Colleges email for important information before class and during the semester.  
  • Students need to "purchase" textbooks at the campus bookstore. The cost of textbooks is invoiced back to the high school by eFollett, the bookstore vendor.
  • Students taking UW Colleges Online classes purchase textbooks at the Online eFollett bookstore.

Tips for Selecting Courses 

  • Talk to your high school counselor to see which courses are appropriate.
  • Check the campus schedule of classes on the campus website. If it is not available, check the course schedule from the previous year to see what was offered that semester. Many courses are offered on a specific rotation so previous terms are a good indicator of what will be offered. For example, if you are looking to take a class the spring of 2017, you would refer to the spring 2016 course schedule.

Enrolling in Courses

  • Admission does not guarantee enrollment in specific classes.
  • Students should use PRISM to enroll in classes.
  • Students can view their schedules in their Student Center located in PRISM.

After completion of courses