To be eligible for financial aid, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Be admissible to the University of Wisconsin Colleges as a degree-seeking student; students admitted as nondegree are ineligible for financial aid.
- Be a United States citizen or an eligible non-citizen of the United States. International students are not eligible for federal and state aid where completion of a FAFSA is required to determine eligibility.
- Be enrolled in at least six credits per semester. One of the few exceptions to the six-credit requirement is the Federal Pell Grant program.
- Demonstrate financial need for most types of aid, including grants, Federal Work-Study, and need-based loan programs (Direct Subsidized Student Loan). There are some exceptions to this rule, including the Direct Unsubsidized Student Loan and the Direct Parent PLUS Loan. Refer to the Aid Programs Chart in the Financial Aid Award Guide or visit Types of Aid for more details.
- Not have defaulted on a federal educational loan or owe repayment on a federal student grant/Title IV aid provided by a postsecondary institution.
- Meet the standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress.
- Students must be a resident of the State of Wisconsin to receive state grant program funds, including the Wisconsin Grant-UW Students.
- Withdrawal or failure to complete courses may result in loss of continued eligibility. Review Academic Progress Requirements.
- Students who are convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while receiving federal student aid may have their eligibility for financial aid impacted. Review the Drug Conviction Information document on the Forms Page for more details.
- Students who are incarcerated have limited aid eligibility. Discuss circumstances with a campus Solution Center/Student Affairs staff member.
|Steps to Apply for Aid for 2018-2019||When to Expect/Submit||Deadline|
|Complete the 2018-2019 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and release information to UW Colleges, Federal School 003897. The 2018-2019 FAFSA applies to fall 2018, spring 2019, and summer 2019.||October 1, 2017||Processed FAFSA with calculated Expected Family Contribution must be received by UW Colleges 4 weeks prior to the end of the student's enrollment|
|If selected for Verification, submit requested documentation/forms to the Student Financial Aid Office. Document request will be sent to the student's UW Colleges email account.||When requested, starting in spring 2018||Deadline determined by enrollment,
see Forms Page
|Receive Financial Aid Award Offer notice sent to the student's UW Colleges email account.||Spring 2018 for those who have filed by then|
|Accept Aid in PRISM through Self Service||Starting in spring 2018 for those who have filed by then||Aid awards must be accepted before the student ceases enrollment or by the end of the term for which aid has been awarded, whichever is earlier|
|Financial Aid Census Date: finalize class schedule/enrollment in PRISM to establish aid eligibility for the term based on that enrollment||Within the first 10 class days of the term||Fall 2018
September 17, 2018