Download the New Student Checklist to keep track of your tasks and deadlines or reference the list below.
In order to successfully register and enroll, follow the steps listed below.
1. If you haven't already...
- Set up your student email to receive time-sensitive information.
- Activate your PRISM account. Your PRISM account is used to access your financial aid, register for classes and to pay tuition. You will need your student ID number.
- Apply for financial aid with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The UW Colleges school code is 003897 regardless of the branch campus you are attending. The application is available October 1.
- Optional: If you will be living in on-campus housing, complete the contract and return it with the housing deposit.
2. Take Your Placement Exams
- Specific instructions for testing dates and requirements will be sent to your campus email. You can register for placement testing dates through that email. Please plan to take your placement tests at least two weeks before your Advising & Registration (A&R) date, or before meeting with your advisor (transfer students).
- Spring Semester: November
- If you have taken AP, IB, CLEP, or any college coursework during high school, please have your official score report or official transcripts sent to UW Colleges Admissions Office, 780 Regent Street, Madison, WI 53715.
3. Register for Classes
- Register for an Advising and Registration (A&R) session. Information will be sent to your campus email with available dates.
- Attend your A&R session and work with advisors to schedule classes according to your degree requirements.
- Spring Semester: November—January
4. Pay for College
- Accept or decline your Financial Aid Award offer. Your award will be listed in your PRISMaccount, under Finances Accept/Decline.
Search for scholarships. You can apply for scholarships at your campus each semester.
5. Attend New Student Orientation
- An email will be sent to your campus account with time, date and registration information. Attendance is required of all new students.
- Spring Semester: January
6. Start Your Semester
- Get your UCard, the official UW Colleges ID, and pick up your textbooks.
- Attend the first day of all of your classes. If you do not attend class, you will be dropped from the class.
- Pay your tuition or set up a payment plan by the 10th day of classes. Your tuition is only viewable in PRISM. View other important dates.
Get more information at 1-888-INFO-UWC or UWCSolutionCenter@uwc.edu.
Download the New Student Checklist!